Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Question of the Week

Usually when The Venerable Neels talks about board games she mentions Scrabble, a game Betty Debbie is wizard at but Betty Keira only so-so (I'm missing the crucial word-scramble gene). In Sister Peters, however, we are treated to the family playing a round of Monopoly--a game I always feel I ought to like more than I do.

Mr. Peters was much addicted...Being a poor man, the mythical thousands he lost and won afforded him great pleasure. At ten o'clock, however, his wife said firmly that they would not play anymore...

In La Casa van Voorhees we tend to choose games for Family Night based on whether the littlest will ruin them if he wants to join in. Our go-tos are Zingo! (a fast-paced Bingo which still doesn't bore the 9-year-old to tears), Racko (a slightly old-fashioned favorite which the four-year-old thinks he's brilliant at while managing not to upset the tempo for the rest), and Apples to Apples Junior (our fave, fave because hearing a 7-year-old justify why her 'Toothpaste' best represents the descriptor card (for instance) 'Infamous' is priceless.

What board games do your family love?

4 comments:

  1. We enjoy playing Metro. It is a little like dominos on a gameboard and can be played competitively or mindlessly which is the main factor in determining if I will play with my rugrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take-Off! is a family favorite - and as a bonus, it's semi-educational.

    We like Metro too...and Upwords - it's easier than Scrabble, which means I don't have to deliberately play to lose, I can do that all on my own.

    Uno, though not a "board game", is popular here - although we can only use the classic Uno cards...all 5 of my boys are partially color blind and they have a tough time distinguishing different shades...we had an unfortunate experience with the Harry Potter version - the colors kept getting mixed up. We also have a tough time playing Mastermind, since it is color dependent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to play Scrabble, I love to play Cribbage but don't have anyone to play with. Now we just sit in front of the TV and computers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are now Blokus and Bananas. You can get them at Target and they are loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete