Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pikelets

In honor of Betty Keira's recent posts about Essie Summers, I thought I'd try out one of the most common foods to be found in 'Summerdom'.

As Betty Neels is to scones, Essie Summers is to pikelets.

I know, I know...what the heck are pikelets? I had read two or three Summers before I figured out that pikelets weren't some small kind of fish cakes. Pikelets are actually pretty closely related to crumpets...just with a thicker batter and no crumpet rings needed. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about pikelets:

Pikelet may refer to:
A small, thick pancake, generally in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Britain. Also known in parts of the United Kingdom as a Scotch pancake or Scotch pancake.

I found a super easy recipe on Allrecipes.com for "Yummy Pikelets" (I'm so glad that weren't named "Yucky Pikelets"). They really only take a few minutes to make up the batter, then a few minutes to cook.

Verdict: Here at the "van der Stevejinck House O' Carbs" I've found that my boys will eat pretty much anything bread-like that they can put syrup or jam on. Pikelets were no exception. They were good, fast and easy...I'm thinking they may make it onto the Sunday dinner rotation.

3 comments:

  1. Betty Barbara here--
    Oh yum!! Pikelets!!! I can attribute (mumble, mumble)pounds of my unfortunate weight gain to the yummy pikelets I ate whilst living in Melbourne (Australia). Butter and jam, butter and honey, butter and syrup (maple, fruit, whatever) were all approved toppings. Sigh! Thanks for the memories.
    (FYI, Spellcheck does not recognize 'pikelets' as a correctly spelled word.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must to try these small delicious sounding Scotch Pancakes - I like this name better...sorry Betty Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Scotch Pancakes being a cooler name...Pikelets just sound like baby pikes.

    ReplyDelete