Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Word of the Day


ducky, duckie [ˈdʌkɪ] Informal
n pl duckies
Brit darling or dear: used as a term of endearment among women
adj
delightful; fine

Uncertain Summer is littered with duckies.

And now that they mention...I don't hear males in Neelsdom employ 'ducky'--just the chain-smoking daily help or the sluice room maids or slightly ribald girlfriend.

In America there is only one definitive Duckie--he of Pretty In Pink fame. The un-getter of girls, his tombstone will read, "Dumped at Prom". When my Korean roommate watched this beloved classic with me in college she was mystified. Evidently the awesomeness of Molly Ringwald is not trans-national. Her red hair, awkward body and overbite were lost in translation.

So, duckie is taken. We don't use duckie. But, if I were a sluice room maid (and heaven help me, sometimes it feels that way), I might call my dishy nurse friend 'honey'. But it's not just a between-girlfriends thing. That's why my four-year-old can't wait until he's old enough to be a 'husband' so that he can have a 'hon'.

1 comment:

  1. Aww
    You left out Duckie of NCIS. Though in his case it is a nickname (he's Dr Mallard), rather than an endearment.

    Betty Barbara

    ReplyDelete