Friday, September 3, 2010

The Best of Betty

Betty Keira and I have managed to plow through and review roughly (very roughly) half of The Great Betty's novels so far. I don't know about you, but I'm amazed. We knew going in, that reviewing all of La Neel's novels would be a big undertaking (definitely), we hoped that it would be fun (it is!), and we really hoped that we'd stick it out and finish...(so far, so good).

And now, in the spirit that has made The Uncrushable Jersey Dress so wildly popular in countries such as India, Spain and Australia...the spirit that says: "I was painting the outside of my house last week and now I'm on vacation"...we bring you:

(reviewed March 4, 2010)



The Great Betty managed to cram a lot of action into this book without it seeming too episodic. There is a back story that includes an unconsummated love affair! Carnage! A very capable and self sufficient heroine who can give as good as she gets, a car with it's own name, shades of noblesse oblige and helping a horse to foal in a field.
If you don't feel like reading the entire review, here's an excerpt from the end:
To sum it all up: Every time Henrietta and Marnix meet they start fencing. Verbally. She is irritated, annoyed and intrigued by Marnix...sparks fly. Marnix doesn't help matters much. He is dictatorial, brusque, ill-mannered and has more than a bit of a temper - he is also often helpful and generous. Shall we mention chemistry and tension? Henrietta's Own Castle has got to be one of the top ten Neels books when it comes to *ahem* "tension". At this point I would love to insert a montage clip of David and Maddie from the old tv show Moonlighting, slamming doors. If only I could have found one. The Venerable Betty wasn't always able to balance her arguing couples well. At times the ladies just come off shrill and unappealing. She manages to make Henrietta likeable in spite of her yelling at Marnix and Marnix is appealing (though a bit dim about Loes being what Loes was) even though he has more than his fair share of "Lord of the Manor" attitude (which could so be a deal breaker in my book). I love it when they get together at the end, I practically cheer when Marnix climbs the kitchen wall to declare his love. You just know that Marnix and Henrietta will have a lively marriage - lots of fighting, and lots of making up...the good kind. I give this book a good solid boeuf en croute. (If you skip the references to Oh Noes Loes being 18 it might even bump up to a queen of puddings)

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about Henrietta's own Castle till I saw it mentioned here. It was one of my first reads, and I love it more than ever now that I have read much more Betty. As you mentioned, Betty really did a good job balancing our hero's brusqueness and our heroine's assertiveness without either becoming too tiresome.
    It's a common thread, our RDD (or other hero) being too obtuse about those vixens. Sometimes downright mean, but I love almost all of them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this story too.

    I love the pic you chose for his castle. I've been looking for one to match the description and yours fits the bill to the tee!

    And of course the cute comments! LOL

    ReplyDelete