Saturday, September 11, 2010

Bettysday Tribute Contest!

As many of you know, next Wednesday is Bettysday. The 100 year anniversary of the birth of The Great Betty. We actually have Betty Magdalen to thank for pointing it out to us months ago. I find it incredibly serendipitous (and not a little awesome) that Betty Keira and I started The Uncrushable Jersey Dress in time to celebrate the centenary of our favorite deceased British Harlequin/Mills and Boon author.
The Founding Bettys have been trying to figure out how best to honour the day...and we decided that it's time to have a contest. But what kind of contest?

It's going to be all about A Tribute to Betty.
How will you fly your Betty Flag? We already have one exceedingly fine tribute in the form of a Bettysday Crossword Puzzle created by Betty Ross (Crossword Man and Brit Husband of Betty Magdalen). We will post the crossword this Tuesday - in time for Bettysday.

Here are just a few other suggestions (don't let yourself be limited by us) :
Demonstrate how you celebrated Bettysday with photography.
Write a song.
Write a poem.
Interpretive dance.
Create a craft.
Write a Neels inspired short story.
Knitting or needlework of any sort.
Food.

The prizes? Just wait and see. We promise awesomeness...but you'll just have to wait and see. There will nearly definitely be multiple winners (because that's how The Grand High Poobah Arbiters of Everything roll).
Send us your entries via email (see sidebar). Enter early. Enter often. We will start posting entries on Thursday.
Winner(s) to be announced on Monday, September 20th - so make sure to have your entry in by 8am Pacific Northwest time, Monday morning(for those of you from overseas who are having a tough time figuring out when that might be, it's the same time we post our discussion threads...).

5 comments:

  1. It's not interpretive dance, but I plan to do two very rare & special things in Betty's honour: 1) wear an uncrushable jersey dress (please God don't let it be 87 degrees on Wednesday; this dress is substantial) with hose & court shoes; and 2) let someone take my picture.

    Frankly, I don't know that interpretive dance wouldn't be easier! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The menu for my tribute is spinning in my head: scones and fruitcake are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara Betty here--
    Our celebration is all about food: guaranteed are scones, Devonshire cream and cucumber sandwiches. There will be court shoes on the feet on the celebrants!! There may be pictures!
    Tune in later for all the fine details!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are my responses to your suggestions:

    Maybe. (If I can get the camera to work after a dumping in the Juniata River while canoeing.)
    Nope.
    Nope.
    Waaay nope.
    Too lazy.
    Too dull-witted.
    Too ungifted.
    OH YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My t-shirts came today. Whoo-hoo!

    I'll send pix in a few days; I'm bringing them to Philadelphia for official Bettysday events. Not The Four Seasons, where Betty JoDee and I will be in proper uncrushable jersey dresses, but I plan to change into something more casual and comfortable for dinner, and then I'll still have a shirt for Thursday.

    They are very cool, these shirts. I think I will submit them as my entries into the contest.

    ReplyDelete