Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Little Moonlight--Discussion Thread

Serena's horrible mum doesn't like Serena's suggestion that she's taking too much luggage...'after all I've done for you.' Grrrrr. I am a big fan of the fifth commandment but in this case might it not have been better served by Serena emigrating to New Zealand and sending mother a loving and affectionate letter every fortnight?


Our hero has got 4 sisters and 3 brothers and we get to find out all their names. When I was on the phone with Betty Debbie earlier I was struck (as she was) that RDDs are ALWAYS the eldest child. I found a handy (and, no doubt, highly accurate (wink)) chart on why an RDD must be an eldest:
FirstMiddleLastOnly
Natural LeaderFlexibleRisk-takerClose to parents
High AchieverEasy-goingOutgoingSelf-control
OrganizedSocialCreativeLeader
On-timePeacemakersSelf-centeredMature
Know-it-allIndependentFinancially irresponsibleDependable
BossySecretiveCompetitiveDemanding
ResponsibleMay feel life is unfairBored easilyUnforgiving
Adult-pleaserStrong negotiatorLikes to be pamperedPrivate
Obeys the rulesGenerousSense of humorSensitive
Bossy? Check. Know-it-all? Check. Responsible? Check. Maybe they don't hand out socking Bentleys to younger children.
With 4 sisters our hero had 'perfected the art of saying the right thing at the right time'. Much though I love my brothers, I can't remember a time when they fussed themselves overmuch at cultivating the emotional equilibrium of the womenfolk in the house.


Serena was studying the Dutch phrase book in bed, she had got as far as 'toast, buttered or dry' when she fell asleep. When I travel to a non-English-speaking foreign country (happens ALL the time, I tell you...) I make sure to know how to order water ('mit gas oder ohne gas') which is very important to me as I'm not much of a juice or pop girl. I also think it is a must for a woman to know how to say no in as many languages as possible. What are your go-to phrases?

Our hero's mum is ordinary - she would look as nice in a pinny. I am a great lover of pinnies. I have several of them, some of which are so darling. But you can bet dollars to donuts that I'll be in the copious cotton/poly number with the high neck and the big pockets. Ugly as sin but handy as all get out.

Serena's flatlet wasn't a flat - it was a bedsitter gone upmarket. When The Lovers van Voorhees lived in married student housing we referred to our domicile as an apartment. If only I had known the word 'flatlet' back then, I could have been more precise. (P.S. This is the part where I post a picture of an 'ugly flatlet' but, no joke, the only thing my google search kept bringing me to was Michael Flatley. Word.)Michael Flatley. Not a flatlet.

6 comments:

  1. ¿Donde está el baño?
    (Don't leave home without this phrase.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donde esta el chocolate? <- Don't leave home without this phrase, either.

    Actually, there was one Betty book where the RDD wasn't the eldest- he'd had an older sister and brother who both died during the war. Obviously this was one of her first books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right--there was an older brother/sister that I had forgotten but as they were kind enough to die in the Resistance, he is still functionally like an oldest child.

    Now that you've jogged my memory am I wrong in thinking there's another where he has an older sister? (I will think on it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...Maybe? It does sort of ring a bell. A Girl to Love, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty van den BetsyJuly 28, 2011 at 3:20 PM

    Entshuldigen sie, bitte, aber ich sprechen keine Deutsche. Sprechen sie Englische?

    I once shared a train compartment from Vienna almost to Salzburg - close to four hours - with an Austrian nun (!) who spoke German and Italian. The *flawless accent* with which I pronounced the above phrase, meaning (I hope), "Excuse me, please, but I don't speak German. Do you speak English?" seemingly convinced her that I *do* speak German. If I understood her hand gestures, she was a novice on her way home for a short vacation. My fluent English and schoolgirl French were insufficient to ask that she sing "The Sound of Music"...

    By the way, don't ever use that spelling if you're trying to be understood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I swallowed before I got to the pic of Michael Flatley! I would have needed a new keyboard! LOL!

    ReplyDelete