Tuesday, September 14, 2010

British Word of the Day


de·mob (d-mb) Chiefly British
tr.v. de·mobbed, de·mob·bing, de·mobs
To demobilize (armed forces).
n.
Demobilization of armed forces.

In Blow Hot, Blow Cold I came across a word I had never seen before. Most of my 'Brit Word of the Day' selections are at least known to me; some I use, some I'm a little fuzzy on (meaning-wise). But 'demobbed' was a head scratcher.

The sentence reads thus: "...Sinclair, who had been her father's batman in the army during the war, and had somehow attached himself to his household when they had been demobbed."

It sounded a little like some Victorian servant girl being drummed out of the service in the same way that a priest might be defrocked but I gathered the gist easily enough--though what a good thing I know what a batman is! Her use of the term is, I think, just another of those little evidences that The Venerable Neels was in the military and served her country.

No comments:

Post a Comment