Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Question of the Week


The End of the Rainbow has a scene wherein Waldo takes Olympia with him to choose a gift for his young daughter/not daughter. Olympia's choice falls on a fabulous and gorgeous doll house because it was just the sort of thing she would have longed to own as a child.

My question is: What were some gifts that you longed to have when you were a wee tot?

My answer is the Barbie Dream House that Mom and Dad bought for Betty Suzanne (probably because they loved her more), with working hand crank elevator and a bundle of extras--the best of which was a loaf of bread that set into a miniature baking tin. I probably got a jump rope or something similarly uninspiring but I really hoped for Miss Barbie and her sweet, sweet pad.


Here's Betty Debbie, shoving her oar in:
For years I wanted a slot car race track for Christmas - they were always prominently displayed at a local store we frequented. My younger brother (4 years younger) finally got one (which I am sure he didn't appreciate nearly as much as I would have). Considering the fact that older sister, Betty Marcy, and I had been brought up to expect things like Tonka Trucks for Christmas, an electric race track would have seemed to be in the natural progression of things. Which is why I probably got something girly - a clear case of trying to close the barn door after the horses were already out.

5 comments:

  1. I always got whatever I wanted cuz I was the youngest of course (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was the youngest, and I *did* not get what I wanted. My response to that was to want less. I did, however, get the Barbie Dream House (circa 1966) which looked enough like a suitcase when it was closed up that I completely believed my mother's claims that it was luggage & a gift for my sister.

    When the time came to have a nicer dollhouse, I built my own (I was 18 and really should have been studying for my Genetics final) and bought all the furniture, etc. I got rid of the dollhouse, but still have the furniture, so some day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty Barbara here--
    I always wanted, but never got, ballet lessons! I usually got the toy that I wanted--but, oh man, I really, really wanted to learn ballet.
    My late mother (born 1924) said that her biggest Xmas disappointment as a child was not getting this pair of red boots when she was about 4 or 5. The memory stuck with her.(And no, she never bought herself a pair of red boots later, but that's a whole 'nother story!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cyank ku aku cinta kamu masku namanya erwin cyank .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aku cinta kamu = I love you
      namanya = named, his name, so-called
      The rest is a puzzle I cannot solve.
      Would you care to translate that for us?

      Delete