Friday, February 5, 2010

Daphne's Darling -part 1 (Book Drawing Submission)

Daphne’s Darling
By Betty Tia

Daphne sat on the edge of the wing chair in what had been her father’s office. The shock of the moment was too much to take in. “Nothing?”
The solicitor cleared his throat and tugged uncomfortably at his collar. He felt for this young woman. To have such news as this dropped in her lap not a week after her father’s heart had finally given out. “I’m afraid so miss. He has left a considerable debt because his research had yet to be finished and he had been living on credit for the past several years.”
Daphne’s eyes became even brighter, giving her plain looks an almost pleasant air, but she would not let the emotions show now. “What does it all mean to me, Mr. Farnsworth?”
“Unfortunately the house must be sold along with most of the furnishings in order to repay the loan amounts. There is no money Miss Darling.” He tugged again at his collar, “Is there no one you could go to.”
She shook her neat head, “No, I have no one.”
“Are you perhaps trained for anything?”
Again she shook her head, but she was already deep in thought with something else. Daphne may have grown up somewhat pampered by her adoring father, but she was not one to sit idly by when she had the power to do anything to help when a situation arose. “Mr. Farnsworth, how much time do I have?”
He furrowed his brow and wondered if this poor girl understood how dire her circumstances were. “Well, I suppose that you would have a month or two at the most before all, and I do mean all, is lost. Do you understand that if you sold now and walked away, that you would be able to sell some of the left over pieces to live on for a bit, but if you wait, there will be nothing.”
Daphne nodded, “Yes, thank you Mr. Farnsworth. I will get back to you about my decision within the week.” Daphne rose from her chair in the hopes that her father’s solicitor would follow suit and leave. She had much to think about and not much time to do it in.

Daphne stood on a tree lined street in front of the beautiful townhouse with the neatly printed silver plated signs listing the offices within. “Dr. Van der Zutphen. This must be the place. It is highly unlikely that there would be another doctor of the same name in this area of London.” She straightened her tweed suit that her father had insisted on buying for her last season. It made her plump figure and plain hair look a little less noticeable and gave her the courage to mount the stairs and ring the bell.
Her fears rose with each passing minute that ticked by without the door being answered. It was quite the letdown after she had held everything together since that horrible meeting after the funeral. He wasn’t here. Daphne turned around and sat dejectedly on the top step of the townhouse. All of the pent up emotions and fears decided to make a showing now. Great tears dropped from her shimmering eyes and she dug blindly in her clutch for a tissue.
A strong hand stretched out in front of her blurry view to hand her a handkerchief.
Daphne took the proffered linen and mopped up her face. “Thank you. I’m afraid…” She paused as she looked into the clearest blue eyes she had ever seen and fell a little in love. No that was absurd, she didn’t even know this man.
“You’re afraid of what exactly?” His eyes held humor.
“I don’t remember.”
He extended his hand to help her up, “I am Zeger, Zeger Van der Zutphen.”
Daphne’s smile lit up her face, “Dr. Van der Zutphen? I am Daphne Darling. I am Henry’s daughter and I need your help.”
“Henry Darling’s little girl? I haven’t talked to Henry in over a year. Please come in. I only have a few minutes before my next appointment, but I am yours until then.”
Daphne sat primly on the edge of the chair facing his in his office. “I will get straight to the point because of our lack of time. I need you to finish my father’s work.”
Daphne sat silent studying the man across from her. She couldn’t see the clear blue of his eyes as his hooded lids lowered to reveal nothing.
“Where is your father Miss Darling?”
Her eyes became bright again, “He passed away last week. I wouldn’t ask you, but he was nearly finished when he passed away. I wasn’t aware of the credit that we had lived on for so long. If I can’t get his work published all will be lost. I don’t even know if we could do it in time. I only have a month or two at the most before I will be turned out. I know this has nothing to do with you, but I have nowhere else to go.”
Zegers smiled at the woman before him. She was just as a woman should be. “I may be able to help you, but I would need you here to assist me and work around my schedule. Would you be able to do that Miss Darling?”
She nodded mutely, a little in awe at this man.

Heroine in a quandry... check
Dead parents with no time for mourning... check
Tall, vast hero with striking eyes... check
Solicitor... check
Threat of being turned out of her childhood home... check
Love at first sight... check

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy. I think you have a shot at the title Tia. You do need your checklist of cliches just to keep us striaght. Nicely played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the rest of the story?! You had me drawn in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, such promise! Where's the rest?

    ReplyDelete