Thursday, February 11, 2010

Stars Through the Clouds (Book Drawing Submission)

STARS THROUGH THE CLOUDS
by Betty Magdalen

Ward Sister Euphemia Bishop walked between the beds on the ward, checking on the elderly ladies sleeping finally after a difficult evening with this one needing her glasses found and that one needing a cup of Horlicks and a comforting shoulder to cry on. Despite her size, she was graceful and efficient, making no noise as she went. At the end of the ward was her office, and the off-duty roster that seemed to refuse her best efforts at untangling.
Euphemia was still struggling to sort out all her nurses' requests for days off when she remembered that she needed to get the patients ready in the morning for that Dutch doctor they were sending her. She rustled among her papers; his name was impossible to remember, and she suspected she'd never say it correctly. Oh, well, the Dutch were invariably polite about well-meaning efforts to master their language. Ah, here it was.
"Professor Thijs de Jongh-Bijlsma," she tried out loud.
"Yes?"
Euphemia jumped. "You scared me," she accused the giant standing negligently in the doorway. He was smilingly placidly at her, but she could tell that he was quite tired. He was wearing elderly cords and a disreputable sweater, and there was a smudge of soot on the back of one hand.
"My apologies. I heard my name, and thought you wished to speak to me."
Euphemia could feel herself blushing. She frowned at him. "Sit down," she ordered him ungraciously. "You look dead on your feet. You were called out, I gather?"
"A warehouse fire near the Isle of Dogs; unfortunately there were several people squatting there when the fire broke out." His sleepy blue eyes glinted dangerously. He might be exhausted, but she sensed he missed nothing. Euphemia knew she was attractive, but no girl looks her best at 3:00 a.m. She suspected her nose was in need of some powder, and resisted the urge to smooth the wisps of silky dark hair escaping from her cap, the anachronistic starched and frilled affair that St. Engelbert's nurses wore. Theirs was the very last of the hopelessly outdated Victorian hospitals in London, but its staff managed with some pride to maintain its traditions.
"Yes, well, Professor, why are you here now?" Euphemia asked coolly.
"Mrs. Brenda Keith. She will be needing an adjustment in the treatment of her Buerger's thromboangiitis obliterans. As I was in the hospital anyway, I thought I would come early to see her."
Euphemia softened. Mrs. Keith was a favorite of hers. In her usual calm manner, she conveyed the pertinent details of the patient's care and condition. When she was done, she looked to see if he was satisfied. He had his eyes closed. Was he asleep?
"I'm not asleep," he informed her without opening his eyes.
This was insupportable. She still had the off-duty roster to complete. "Well, if there's nothing else?" she asked briskly.
"Oh, there's more. I plan to woo you, introduce you to my dogs and faithful friend and servant Jans, be sure to have you with me when the next disaster occurs so that your life can be briefly in danger and I can save you, accompany you to the Governor's Ball, misunderstand your friendship with that earnest houseman I passed in the hall, although I will then realize that he is merely telling you about his girlfriend in South Africa and not actual evidence that I am too old for you, sort out your feelings for me, and then propose marriage."
"Well, I never!"
He smiled at her expression of outrage. "But I am far too tired to do any of those things at present. I will settle for a cup of tea and a chocolate digestive biscuit."

10 comments:

  1. "Well, I never!" You managed to fit the whole plot into one short paragraph.

    I love your "medical condition". Also Horlicks, off duty rotation, frilled cap AND digestive biscuits.

    I'm SO excited! (And since I'm one of the Grand Poobah Arbiters of Everything, that's a good sign).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love love the outmoded frilly caps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I had a lot of fun writing it.

    I thought for sure I would have to go reread something from The Canon, but my brain is a mysterious place. I can't remember anyone's names but these details have (obviously) really stayed with me.

    I'm sure you know that by now there isn't a single Victorian hospital that hasn't been renovated into a more modern style, so I'm pretty sure the old style wards with dormitory rows of beds are all gone. But back in her day, a few must still have lingered on.

    I wonder if that's why she stopped writing "in hospital" plots -- all the technology was "newfangled."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, sure -- and MRIs and pulse-oximeters and they wear "normal" clothes (the quintessential English nurse outfit -- that blue dress with the white collar and apron -- has evolved to something a lot less quintessential and a lot more comfortable) and have semi-private rooms. Plus, I think by the time she was in her 70s she didn't want to even play at working anymore. Let's all go to Trondheim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betty Suzanne -- Thank you. That's a wonderful compliment coming from you!

    Betty Debbie -- When do we leave?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fjords, here we come...actually, for all of Neels references to Norway, she seldom talks about fjords (which I adore), it's all about Greig's house and old wooden cathedrals.

    La Neels heroines always seem very timid about mountains...which I guess is understandable - seeing as mountains are pretty thin on the ground in Holland and Englad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was laughing out loud! That was a great one. If you could just finish the book, I would totally read it.

    ReplyDelete