Friday, February 12, 2010

Being Brave

If you are looking for something to be brave about consider fine arts.
Robert Frost
We grew up in a house with piles of books often spilling off the shelves. These books were often in the "to get exchanged" queue at the local used book store. I remember going to the store and taking a large box in and often leaving with at least a grocery sack full of books. They all had pictures of men looking longingly at women in various 70/80's fashions. You know which ones I'm talking about! I kinda vowed to NEVER read those books. I didn't want cheesy romance books cluttering up my shelves. (Not to say there weren't plenty of the classics on our shelves.)

Never say never, as they say. I have been sucked into the Uncrushable vortex. I now have three such books with the cheesy covers. I have come up with a plan to remedy my embarrassment. I learned how to make cute book covers. My other solution is to try and buy "The Best of" books. They are the ones with the pretty watercolor paintings of landscapes or still life. In fact, just the other day my library was having a "friends of the library" sale and I stopped in to take a gander.

Trying to find Betty Neels at discount prices is tough to do. Apparently there is not a huge following here in Colorado, or maybe fans don't give away their books. I have bought one on Amazon, but the shipping is too expensive for just one book. Anyhow, back to the book sale. I found five titles in the sale, all with "The Best of " covers! The bummer is that these are books that my library is phasing out. I suspect that the "Betty Neels" shelf will no longer be available at my local library. All the more reason to conquer the world, one Betty Neels at a time!

2 comments:

  1. That's right! Be brave, put your best Betty forward. I'm snickering over your "racy covers".

    Betty Suzanne brings up a good point about Neels availability...which I think I will start a discussion post on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you decided to come out of the shadows, as it were. Betty Debbie and you have polar opposite positions. Maybe when we visit we can have a "Best of" and "Retro 80s" swap. Also, I like to think that Mom stumbled across The Betty a time or two...

    ReplyDelete