Saturday, February 27, 2010

Zuppa Toscana...

...or "Soup, Not from a Tin".

When Betty Keira mentioned how disgusting "soup with garlic" sounded (Sun and Candlelight) - I agreed (I think we were both trying to imagine garlic soup). But then I got to thinking - I actually love soup with garlic in it. I found this recipe for Zuppa Toscana online a couple of years ago. My son's wife liked it so much while eating at our house, she would always ask me to make it...so I walked her through it once (she's a natural in the kitchen) and now she's made it her own. When I told her I was going to post the recipe, she begged me to let her post first (which I did, so that I could steal her picture).

Zuppa Toscana
like Olive Garden's®

1 lb. spicy Italian sausage - crumbled (I prefer mild Italian sausage)
1/2 lb. smoked bacon - chopped
1 qt. water(2)
14.5 oz. cans (about 3 2/3 cups) chicken broth (I usually make my own broth with Better than Bouillon chicken base)
2 lg. russet potatoes - scrubbed clean, cubed
2 garlic cloves - peeled, crushed
1 med. onion - peeled, chopped
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper - to taste


-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.
-In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside.
-Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
-Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.
-Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.

This is really an easy soup to make, and if you have a big enough pot, it's just about as easy to make a double batch - which means leftovers!! Zuppa Toscana freezes just fine - but don't make the mistake I made once. I put three bags in the door of my freezer and let it freeze. Later on, I opened up my freezer...there's the soup - but wait! I put it in unfrozen - and the liquid all settled into one mass. It took forever to get it thawed enough to unwedge it. Now I make sure to freeze it flat (on a cookie sheet), then I can move it to where I want it.

We discovered, quite by accident, that adding tortelloni (I get the Five Cheese Tortelloni in the refrigerated section at Costco) turns this delightful soup into a main dish. The uncooked tortelloni also freezes well - I don't put it in the Zuppa Toscana that I plan to freeze, I add the two together after thawing - otherwise I'm pretty sure the tortelloni would turn to mush.

You can find reference to "soup with garlic" in Sun and Candlelight.

6 comments:

  1. This soup IS totally awesome but you have to admit that if it were merely called "soup with garlic" it might make the bile rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that our family motto is " You Can Never Have too Much Garlic!".Roasted and put into a luscious cream soup sounds divine to me. (I wonder how that motto would look translated into Latin and put on a field of watercress with wild onions rampant?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think to Betty Neels' very English palate, any amount of garlic would seem like the entire soup was "garlic soup." Personally, I bet if the croutons were garlicky, that would be enough for her. Just guessing; we'll probably never know. (But add it to the list of questions we want to ask if we can ever track down a descendant of the Great Betty Neels!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty Barbara here--
    Finally got around to making this today. And It was Good!! But a bit of a chore in a very small kitchen. I had no place to put down grease-filled, hot pans (all that sausage! all that bacon!!). But I coped and it was worth it. Mijnheer van der Tarheelin and son barely came up for air as they worked through two big bowls each.
    FYI-I used Yukon Gold potatoes instead of Russets and they worked just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me know it freezes well! I've been making this for years and I was worried about the heavy cream thawing wrong.
    In my soup I use mild Italian sausage without MSG and cook it with some crushed red pepper. I then drain the meat in paper towels in a bowl. My sausage is pretty lean so I add some extra virgin olive oil before adding either diced prosciutto seasoned with juniper berries or bacon bits from Costco. I also add minced garlic and a small onion that I've chopped fine in a food processor. I brown these up before adding Better Than Bouillon chicken soup base and water. Bring to a boil and I add, to a double batch, about four pounds of sliced red potatoes. As the potatoes cook I add the sausage back and start to cut the kale plus stems and add them. When the potatoes are done I add the heavy cream.
    We eat ours as a meal as we add so many potatoes. It is great cold too. After cooking it the first time, I don't heat up what I eat later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may make this the next time we have running club at the house. I never know how many people will show up -- 20? 40? -- so being able to freeze leftovers is fab; the soup has everything you need in one pot; and I can do a vegetarian version with vegetable broth and big mushrooms and tofu pups. Yay!

    ReplyDelete