Monday, February 8, 2010

An Unlikely Romance--Discussion Thread

I went to Wikiname to plumb the symbolic depths of the name Trixie as it is such a Neels outlier. What was she trying to tell us? What is the double meaning? Why the Trixie haters? And so I give you, Trixie's in History!

  • "Trixie" is sometimes used as a derogatory slang term referring to a young urban white woman, usually in her late 20s or early 30s and single. They are typically depicted as social-climbing women looking to marry men with money." Hm. Our Trixie is 23 but other than being precocious in her gold-digging ways she fits this description like an old shoe.
  • Trixie is a plugin for Internet Explorer that enables executing portions of JavaScript code. "Which portions," says my code monkey chewing on a cookie and looking over my ear, "and why only portions?" Indeed, I ask with a knowing glint in my eye. Why only portions?
  • "Trixie Smith(1895-1943) - Blues singer best remembered today for the excellent jazz bands that accompanied her on her records which were often released under the name Trixie Smith and Her Down Home Syncopators." And now I think I've found the name of our all Bettys rhythm and blues band...
  • [Betty Debbie] And then there is the homophone - "tricksy", as in : tricksy hobbitses, always keeping it from us...yes, my precious, we wants it.
  • [Betty Keira] Trixie belongs to a family of names (Lola, Roxanne, Mame, etc...) that, through no fault of their own, spell trouble with a capital T.
Weddings. Our hero frames his request thus: I should very much prefer a quiet ceremony if that is what you want... Dragon, buffer, sack of potatoes...same diff. It was as though he said, reaching past her to the dessert plate, "I am dying for the last eclair...but only if you're quite sure it means nothing to you." Any woman worth her salt would smile politely, pass the plate and vow revenge. I am consoled by thinking of the guilt he will feel for the next sixty years on the day of their wedding anniversary. A gift that keeps on giving. Which brings me to the reflection that I must not be a very nice person after all...Brussels. At one point he is phoning from a friend's in Brussels. In the world of La Neels it is permissible, if one cannot help one's self, to drive at great speed and dispatch through Belgium in order to get somewhere more desirable. (The same is true for France, incidentally.) And last time I checked, Brussels was a city located in...uh...you know...Belgium. It's like the Bermuda Triangle of European countries wherein marital misunderstandings are sucked in to a whirlpool, wooed by the siren song of tinkling glasses, female laughter and wild conjecture. Rome also fits the bill, although strangely, not Paris. La Neels heroes and heroines NEVER go to Paris. The occasional ward or step-sister might, but not the main characters. I find this puzzling...as I often say to my husband, when asked where I'd like to go on vacation, "Paris is always a good idea." In Rome it isn't tinkling glasses...it's famous, anonymous singing stars who have a medical problem, generally involving their chest.

3 comments:

  1. For some reason, Betty Neels must have favored Scandinavia a lot more than warmer climes. And she really loved those "midnight sun" places inside the Arctic Circle. More than one of the later canon involves a trip to Trondheim, for example, or Spitsbergen.

    Wow, it would be great to get one of her family here to explain some things we're wondering about. Someone (*coughBettyDebbiecough*) should start keeping a list of questions to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great discussion post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I'm still searching for Betty Neels's daughter, Charlotte, on Google.co.uk (no luck so far)

    But I have found some cool interviews and a mini-autobiography she wrote. Her favorite romantic movie was Brief Encounter. *sigh* It's one of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete