Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ariadne for Always - chapter 2, part 1 (Book Drawing Example...continued)

Ariadne sighed with relief as the orderlies took Agatha and the baby. She was quite wobbly with exhaustion - but it would never do to collapse in the lobby of the little hospital. She flashed a quick smile, “Thank you so much for your help....”
“Tjaard. Just call me Tjaard.”
“Oh, I remembered your name, I just wasn’t sure how to pronounce it.” Ariadne admitted, while her face reddened at the thought of what a stupid remark she had just made.
Tjaard silently admired Ariadne. Long luxuriant coppery hair, grey eyes, the color of storm clouds, ridiculously long lashes that brushed her cheek as she looked down. Speaking of cheeks, she had the most devasting dimples when she smiled.
“Is there anyone you need to get hold of?” He asked, raising his eyebrows.
Ariadne fought down the impulse to say “I’d like to get hold of you”. “Yes, I need to call my parents. They will be expecting me and Agatha home right about now,” she said, with a fine disregard for grammar.
Tjaard pulled a slim mobile phone from his pocket. “Feel free to make whatever calls you need to.”
“Don’t you need to make arrangements about getting your car back?”
“Oh, that can wait. I wouldn’t dream of leaving you here by yourself.. Miss...?”
“Hastings. Ariadne Hastings.” She looked expectantly at Tjaard.
Tjaard looked back at her quizzically. She went on...”Mother is a huge fan of Agatha Christie, and Father is a huge fan of Mother. I know for a fact the first thing that attracted Mother to Father was his last name. Hastings.”
Tjaard looked thoughtful for a moment, “ah, Poirot’s friend.”
“Yes, once Mother heard Father’s last name she was smitten.” Ariadne reddened again...why was she telling him this? She was obviously babbling. She reached out her hand for the phone. “I’ll just call now, shall I?”
Tjaard stayed just where he was, frankly not wanting to miss a word of what she might say.
“Hello...Oliver? Could you get Mother or Father?” Ariadne sneaked a peek at Tjaard. “Oliver is my brother,” she whispered.
“Oh yes, I can quite see why your mother chose that name,” said Tjaard.
Ariadne goggled at him...no one ever got that connection.
“Do you also have a brother named Hercule?” asked Tjaard, with a boyish grin.
“No, that would be our Jack Russell’s name,” Ariadne giggled, her devastating dimples coming into play again, then turned away slightly as she heard a voice on the phone. “Oh, hullo Mother! I have some good news and some bad news. First the good news, you have a brand new grandson! The bad news is that Jack and Agatha may never be able to use the back seat of their Mini again.”
Tjaard quickly turned his surprised laugh into a cough.

4 comments:

  1. A fine disregard for grammar...I love it when Betty writes that. You can hear herself cringing as she types.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one pronounce Tjaard? Tard? Jarred (but not like soft "g" Ger*ed)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to find someone who actually speaks Dutch! I have no idea how to pronounce Tjaard...In my mind it's "tee-yard". In reality it's probably more like "Joe".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know someone who speaks Dutch, and I'm conveniently visiting him this weekend. (Married to my cousin, doncha know.) Make up a list of all the things you want translated into a phonetic version and I'll see what he can do.

    ReplyDelete