Friday, April 9, 2010

Cinema Betty

This week we're shoehorn-ing both Fate is Remarkable and Last April Fair into the same Cinema Betty selection. I chose:
An Affair To Remember


Cary Grant, entirely plausible as kept-man/playboy Nicky, meets his soul mate while on a cruise (Honey, don't we all?). He and Deborah Kerr (Terry--who, even if you don't like her, utters, "Do you ever think it'll replace night baseball?" with an winking acidity I could only hope to emulate) enjoy a shore excursion together. (Hmmm. Sounds like Last April Fair to me) Complications arise in the form of her future husband and his future wife, romantic carelessness, a song-number by children who are not as cute as they need to be to eat up this much of the movie and crippling auto smash-ups. He has to wait a whole year for her (Fate is Remarkable!) in a torment of longing and desolation.

Even our father sheds a manly tear when Terry cries, "If you can paint I can walk!"

7 comments:

  1. Barbara here--
    Sniff, sniff--one of my all time multi-hanky movies. Every time I watch it I tell myself I will not cry at the end--to no avail!
    My mother, sister and I would would watch any and all Cary Grant movies that came on TV. We all preferred the later romantic dramas and action films(like Destination Tokyo) to his earlier mad-cap comedies (I never 'got' Bringing Up Baby, for example). Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is why Father Goose is the BEST Cary Grant ever... (I'm baiting Betty Kylene who has opinions, now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charade, with Audrey Hepburn! Or (and this is a distant second, because I really love Charade), To Catch a Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cary Grant in Father Goose...I'm not a huge Leslie Caron fan, but I'll put up with her for Cary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I even put up with Deborah Kerr for Cary Grant (or for Yul Brynner for that matter).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty Debbie -- Not even Gigi? A lovely movie that keeps *saying* it's going to Brighton, but actually never pauses on its way to Afsluitdijk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, myself, adore Leslie Caron. I like her in Daddy Long-legs where she is the most 'French' but I love her in 'Father Goose' because even dissipated Grant beats playboy Astaire hollow as eye candy.

    ReplyDelete