Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lemon Tarts

Today's offering can't really be called a recipe. At least, not by my standards. It was inspired by the package that Betty Magdalen sent us that included lemon curd. Lemon curd is lovely - like concentrated lemon meringue pie. Many Neels books included references to lemon tarts - so here's my take on them:

Betty Debbie's Super Simple Easy Peasy No Fail Lemon Tarts

Instructions:
  • Buy one jar (or more) lemon curd. It can usually be found in the jam/jellies section of a grocery store.
  • Buy one package (or more) mini fillo (or phyllo) shells. I found these in the freezer section (desserts).
  • Buy one can (or more) whipped cream. The kind that sprays out of a can.

To assemble:

  • thaw fillo shells according to package directions. Crisp in oven if desired.
  • put one teaspoon or so of lemon curd in each fillo shell.
  • spray on lashings of whipped cream just before serving.

Sure, I could have made the whole shebang from scratch...but although I can (and have) made tart shells, I don't really enjoy the fiddly-ness of making them. Lemon meringue pie filling would work okay in the middle (especially if you use real lemons).

Verdict: Not too bad. I didn't crisp the fillo shells in the oven - but I wish I had - they were slightly chewy. These tarts would go quite well as an addition to a dessert bar (or tea party)...especially if you filled the fillo shells with 2 or 3 different fillings. Nineteen year-old Alex thought they were quite tasty...and I know Dr. van der Stevejinck will devour them whole. That man of mine does have quite the sweet tooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment