Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Crumpets


What's super easy to make, pretty fast, and turn out looking fabulous? Crumpets.

I was very surprised at how easy these were to make. The hardest thing about them was finding rings to cook them in. I looked at several stores and found only "egg rings" - which would probably work fine - but I wasn't willing to pay $2-$3 per ring for something that might not get much use. What I did end up finding were some inexpensive round metal cookie cutters. They set me back 50 cents each (I bought out the store - they had 5 in stock). If you can't find something that cheap, I'd say to start saving short cans - like the ones pineapple comes in.

I found a recipe here at greatpartyrecipes.com and pretty much just followed it. There was nothing hard about it. The one tip I would add is that you really need to keep your temperature just below medium. I used a large, flat electric griddle and set the temperature to just below 300' - that worked great. As soon as the crumpets started pulling away from the side of the rings I picked up the rings with a pair of tongs and started another batch cooking - it saved a ton of time. The crumpets should not be turned until the top is dry looking - but they were able to stand up just fine without the ring after about 3-5 minutes.

My family ate the entire batch - I had mine with butter and blackberry jam, the boys and Dr. van der Stevejinck tried them with syrup too. Yum.

4 comments:

  1. Those looks seriously good. Do they taste slightly eggy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe I used doesn't call for eggs...so they didn't taste eggy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers from London for Betty Debbie and her inspirational approach to crumpets, which I normally buy ready-made at my supermarket but which would be much nicer made fresh, methinks. I do hope that you were able to enjoy yours with "golden syrup" rather than having to settle for maple syrup (maple is a delightful thing but not quite as delicious as Lyle's Golden Syrup made from sugarcane). Betty Neels would be proud of you, Betty Debbie. A 'dab hand at crumpets' is how she'd describe you: high praise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny that someone commented on this particular post today of all days. I had some errands in Seattle - so I ended up having brunch with my daughter-in-law at The Crumpet Shop. this was my DIL's first time to have crumpets - she fell in love...so I'll be teaching her to make them soon.

    I can't find my cheat sheet, so here's the link: http://www.thecrumpetshop.com/

    ReplyDelete