Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Question of the Week

When Becky (of The Promise of Happiness) gets dragged to a chamber music and madrigals concert by Wim the Worthy she laments, "Now if it had been Sibelius or Shostakovitch or Brahms she would have loved every moment of it. She sighed soundlessly; she had no culture...she was a complete ignoramus."

Let's lay aside the fact that she's familiar enough with classical music to know that the program wasn't to her taste and is able to rattle off a replacement program that would be up her alley and still manages to think she's got no culture. No, what I want to know is what your worst date was. My criteria is that it can't be merely because the the man was objectionable (after all, Wim the Worthy is a nice enough fellow. He's just got stultifying musical interests.). We've all spent evenings spent wishing we could be back home in grubbies with a Neels book (which at least doesn't let a girl down) and done with the concert hall/bowling alley/movie theatre.

So, what is your most mind-numbing date ever?

7 comments:

  1. Back in the 70's I went to the movies and fell asleep. Probably snored, probably drooled. It wasn't even that the movie was that boring. What movie?

    (...pinkens nicely with embarrassment...) "Rocky" (it wasn't even a sequel).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is a very long story, I was completely repulsed by the guy and bored. The best part of the date was during the play where we had to be QUIET! The worst part was when he was driving on the wrong side of the road and NOT on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine was to a play too. The fella brought me to an interactive play--he was a bit of a drama nerd--and I was having none of it (No I do not want to run up to the stage and dance!). It was like having something highly fiddly to eat on a first date. Eat lobster when you've become firmly in love, not when you're testing the waters, so to speak...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I have had precisely one date in my entire life. (No lie: I define date as Guy calls you up/asks you out, makes arrangement for entertainment/meal/etc., pays for same but you're not yet married/living together. And that's happened to me exactly once.)

    Okay, so first off, the guy (Danny) was a lovely fellow, really. Not an RDD (or even my personal fave, the RBCCS -- Rich British Cryptic Crossword Solver), exactly. More like a TMDITS (Too Many Drugs in the Seventies) burnout case.

    Anyhoo, this was 25 years ago. Danny asked me out, and I knew I didn't like him in that way, but as no one had ever asked me out, I said yes.

    First awkward moment: he picked me up, but I didn't invite him up to my apartment (third floor walk-up), so the lovely red rose he brought me (my first clue he *did* like me that way) sat on the dashboard all evening. Wilting.

    Second awkward moment: I noticed his STP belt buckle.

    Third awkward moment: He kept staring over my shoulder during dinner at a nice Italian restaurant. Couldn't figure out why, until the paramedics showed up and proceeded to treat a fellow diner in the gap between our table and the ones to my right. Seems the fellow had been having a heart attack -- with Danny watching and not telling me -- for 20 minutes.

    Kind of didn't make me want to date ever again.

    As for how I managed to snag two RBCCS's without any dates -- that's a story for another comment thread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to the play "Waiting for Godot" (not a short play) performed by students at Landmark College, which calls itself "the nation's premier college for high potential students with learning disabilities and AD/HD." 'Nuff said? There was no second date.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In college, I got asked out by a decent enough guy. He was very nice, but for our "date" he took me out to dinner at the dining hall and then checked out a movie from the library. It was a really depressing movie (with subtitles) where almost everyone dies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 out of 6 Bettys had bad dates that included a play. I will remember to advise my sons to not take girls out to plays on a first date.

    ReplyDelete