Friday, April 9, 2010

Cover Art Contest - Final Day

It's the final day for this month's cover art contest. What? You haven't entered yet? It's not too late! (You have until tomorrow morning - by 7am Pacific Time) Just place it in the comment section here or email it to us.


Here are the four entries we've received so far (I'm not including The Founding Bettys):

#1 Betty Magdalen:
Lavinia's thought balloon: "I'm so glad Central Casting sent me this head shot of John Forsythe. While he's not quite right as an exemplar for my the RDD of my dreams -- the hair is a bit pouffy and he looks too American -- it's close enough. I should be able to find my RDD with this!"

#2 Betty Suzanne:
Lavinia grasped her picture of hope. Trapped in a row house as a scullery maid, her step mother often staged accidents in the canal to attract the attentions of the Dutch doctor.

#3 Betty Maria:
"Lavinia had turned away from the window, through which could be seen a man resignedly gazing at an oddly-colored car half-submerged in the canal. She needed to find the perfect spot to hang the photograph of the mysterious large man with the lint-fair hair and the beautifully cut suit. Not that she would ever see him again, she told herself sensibly; he seemed very important, and no doubt was dining at the moment with a glamorous blonde with the right clothes and friends."

#4 Betty Lynn:
Taking a break from her vastly underappreciated job as companion to a cantankerous cousin, Lavinia gazed across the street at the handsome Dr. van Humperdinck. She admired his graying temples as they shone in the sun, not unlike her dear father's in the portrait she clutched. If only she hadn't lost her father in that terrible auto accident at the canal! Still, being a practical sort, she had devoted herself to caring for her assortment of rescue dogs as well as her feckless sister Davina and her great aunt's cousin Gertrude.

Which one is your favorite?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I believe Betty Lynn did an excellent job working in the name Humperdinck. I throw my vote her way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara here
    With a late minute entry:
    Lavinia sighed, and gazed vacantly into her hotel room, while clutching the photo of the Hollywood Star. Her flatmates in the nurses' hall assured her that HE looked just like the RDD that the nurse(or was it ward sister or theatre sister?)married. Yes! They had all heard of (but had never actually met) a fellow nurse who had actually MARRIED a RDD. So Lavinia was feeling so much pressure to actually meet a RDD that she completely missed said RDD walking across the water of the canal behind her on his way to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bettys,
    I'm off in a few (non-sleep-filled) hours for my cruise with Mom and sisters. Professor van der Hertenzoon categorically refused to monitor the UJD blog and report over expensive internet ship-to-shore minutes its daily doings (he is good-naturedly chasing after our four kids so I guess I can't complain)--I'll have to catch up when I return. I have sisters trying to find the Neels cruise tomes in Goodwills and used bookstores in three cities--hope they make out well.

    I'm squeezing in my last-minute entry for the caption contest:

    Lavinia clasped her precious as she gingerly made her way from Amsterdam’s Rijksmuseum. A mousy-haired staff nurse on Men’s Medical at St. Horrific’s by day, at the shift change she transforms into an infamous art thief "L'Infirmier" as a result of taking her hair out of its confining bun. Her booty this time: a little known Rembrandt entitled "Rijke Nederlandse Arts."

    ReplyDelete