Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Taste of Neels

Betty Magdalen sent us a package. A package of yum. Props to Betty Keira for not opening jars until I got to her house a few days later (she did open the package, so as to put things in the fridge). We managed to get Betty Tia and Betty Kylene to come over for the tasting. Here is the list of suspects:

  • lemon curd. yum (I could and did eat some right out of the jar).
  • strawberry preserves. yum.
  • clotted cream. Oh my stars and garters, yum. (note to self, remove from refrigerator a little sooner next time)
  • McVitie's Chocolate Digestive Biscuits. Much superior to the lame-o French ones.
  • crumpets. Who knew? Yum.
  • scones. I shall have to work on these a bit, but besides being a tad dry (my fault), an excellent vehicle for clotted cream, strawberry preserves and lemon curd.

After sampling the crumpets I decided that I need to add crumpets to my list of things to try and make. Soon. Very soon.

Many thanks to Betty Magdalen for her generosity (and for possibly getting me addicted to crumpets). I'm searching the inter-web-nets for possible places to buy the McVities locally, oh, and many, many thanks for the lemon curd and last (and best of all) the clotted cream.

5 comments:

  1. I luuurrrvvved the McVitie's. And the crumpets were a revelation. Never mind the lemon curd (double yum). I think this might be the zenith of British food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cream tea is truly a wonderful thing. (I'm resisting the urge to say "I told you so" about the McVitie's.)

    Thanks for all the pretty pictures, and I dunno about those scones -- they look fabulous to me!

    (Yes, crumpets are amazing. I can send you more anytime, if you can't find them closer to home. Not sure about making them. I suspect they are basically pancakes with lots more holes that are allowed to cool before being toasted.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those scones were fabulous (I didn't make them - we picked them up at the local Panera).

    I found a place down in Seattle - The Crumpet Shop(at Pike Place Market) that makes and sells crumpets - I don't get down there often, but I could certainly make a point of it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had crumpets from The Crumpet Shop the one and only time in Seattle. A full Betty yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks fabulous! Lemon curd is one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete